What are Chakras?
Chakra is the Sanskrit word for "wheel". They are energy centers within the Subtle Body (the transparent, etheric, vast system of energy and wisdom that works in unison with the physical body) that govern specific aspects of our physical, emotional and spiritual being. They function as valves, drawing life force energy from our environment and regulating the flow of it through our system, bringing vitality and balance to the body.
Energy flows upwards, so the first chakra, the Root Chakra, is the gateway to the energetic flow we receive in our bodies. All other chakras are "downstream" (energy flows upwards) of the Root Chakra, so in doing any type of chakra work, it is important to begin at the Root. Clearing blockages and imbalances in the Root Chakra frees the flow of energy, allowing it to reach the rest of the chakras. Ideally, we express ourselves healthily through each of the chakras, but most of us unconsciously relate to the world around us from just a few chakras. (For instance, I live and express freely through my crown and heart chakras, but struggle with my root chakra and throat chakra). Our goal in this 8 weeks, is to achieve more openness and balance between the chakras, allowing us to become fuller, more vibrant expressions of ourselves.
The seven main Chakras, beginning at the base of the spine, are the Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra and Crown Chakra. Each of the seven chakras has a representative color, sound and element.
- The Root Chakra, is located at the base of the spine, its element is earth, and it is represented by the color red.
- The Sacral Chakra is located just below the navel, its element is water, and it is represented by the color orange.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra is located just above the navel, its element is fire, and it is represented by the color yellow.
- The Heart Chakra is located in the center of the chest its element is air, and it is represented by the color green.
- The Throat Chakra is located in the center of the throat, its element is ether, and it is represented by the color blue.
- The Third Eye Chakra is located above & between the eyebrows, its element is cosmic energy, and it is represented by the color indigo.
- The Crown Chakra is located at the top of the head, its element is light, is its color is violet or white.
We'll dig further into the chakras as we go along, but for now, this is the chakras, simplified. :)